Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Francis Asbury Really Got Around!


I am currently living in Harrisonburg, Va. The other day I was dropping my wife off at The Community Mediation Center where she is volunteering her time. Like every other morning I drove right past Asbury Methodist church. The difference this time was that I looked to the left as opposed to the right, where the church sat. Sitting there across the street from the church was an very old looking stone building that had been restored and was serving as some type of office space. As I drove by I noticed a metal plaque on the wall. Being extremely curious and into history the next day after picking up Marie-Jose I turned on my hazard lights and I stopped to read the plaque. My jaw about hit the ground when I realized that I was standing on a very important spot in Holiness History. I was standing at the spot where Bishop Francis Asbury held the first Methodist conference west of the Blue Ridge mountains.

I am not normally the type of person who looks for signs, but that was the very time that I was trying to decide if I was going to attend Asbury Seminary. It makes you think.

No comments: