Monday, November 26, 2007

WSTD - What Should Thad Do?

I am actually going to use this BLOG space to hopefully get some advice on the next few months of my life. I have sought God in this and I can not seem to get a clear answer. I will first ask the question and then I will give a little background on both of the options.

Question: Should I go to seminary or should I continue my work within the justice system?

I have applied to both seminary, and to Criminal Justice programs. I wish that I would be provided some answer, but I am not so lucky.

If I continue my work with CJ I can do a lot of good. I have gained some real powerful information in the form of restorative justice and I think I am in a place to bridge the gap between the current justice system and the better system which contains some more restorative practices.

If I go to Asbury Seminary I will be working for God, which is the most important thing for me. The problem is that I often fall terribly short in the area of patience. I am very aware that I am not always the best model of Christ’s love. I do not want to be a barrier to someone experiencing Christ. This can be misconstrued as an excuse, but I really feel that I am a liability to the church sometimes.

I suppose that this might be a mute point if I am not accepted into either one, but I know how this works and it will not be that easy. I am sure that I will be accepted to both and I will be forced to make a decision that I am confidant will be the wrong one.

Let me know what you think I should do. I have only sent notice concerning this BLOG to a handful of people so if you know it exists then I care what you have to say.

1 comment:

yuckabuck said...

I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do, but here is something to think about.

While at CBC, professor Jim Smith would frequently tell us that "education should be practical." His point was that further education should be seen as a means, not an end. Here in America, we tend to see education as a end in itself. "I'll get my degree and then I'll..... I don't know, I didn't plan that far ahead."

God has called people to seminary, when they had no clear idea what they planned to do afterward, so anything is possible. Paul said, "Brothers, each man, as responsible to God, should remain in the situation God called him to." (1 Cor 7:24) I believe that has a wider application than just whether or not someone should marry.
God bless you!
Chuck