Sunday, February 17, 2008

Why has Social Justice been taken from Christians and Hijacked by the Far Left?


I know that this blog was originally designed in order to talk about christian holiness, but I have decided that as part of holiness I would discuss some additional issues that I have found to be in play. Much of my Christian work is in the area of social justice. I am convinced that this is the area God has called me to, so why has the work that was mandated by Christ over two thousand years been hijacked by the left?


Upon finishing the class work for my master’s degree I needed to find a place to do my practicum. The practicum section of the program was designed so that I could put to work the theories and ideas that I had learned in the previous year and a half. Prior to entering graduate school I had been involved with the fight to end the death penalty. Now that I needed to find a place to do my practicum I arranged with Ohioans to Stop Executions, OTSE to do my work with them. OTSE gave me a schedule, and a job description then set me loose.

The first meeting I would attend would be an OTSE meeting. I was excited up until the time that two men walked in the door. If I had seen them on the street I would have been tempted to give them my spare change. One of them sat next to me and he has clearly not showered in several days. The other sat at the other end of the room, but I could also see that he had not showered either. It hit me instantly that my practicum was going to be spent interacting with leftist hippies.

A few weeks later we had been asked to take part in a workshop that had been set up by the local college. The original plan was that I and the OTSE coordinator would meet the day before to go over the session that we were going to work on. I received an email that evening advising me that this meeting would be canceled due to the weather. It was snowing, but I felt that he had something else that was more important. The next morning I arrived early to the hall where the workshop was being held in order to meet with the coordinator. We had decided to meet then in order to make sure the session that we were running was done properly. He showed up late and He told me that he had overslept. He advised me that he had been up late with his buddies playing video games. I realized then that he had canceled with me due to this not the weather.

I also got into a discussion with a member of the OTSE group who was trying to attach OTSE with the New Black Panther Party. NBPP is a black supremacist group that pushes for the destruction of whites, homosexuals, and Jews, just to name a few. In fact they are convinced that the United States called 4,000 Jews on September 10, 2001 in order to tell then not to come to work on the 11th. The woman with whom I was having the discussion was clearly anti-government, and a conspiracy theorist. This type of thinking could invalidate all the work of OTSE.

Why does someone have to hate the government and the entire establishment in order to fight against injustice? Fighting injustice doesn’t necessarily equal the overthrow of the government, and the trashing of all that society holds dear.

No comments: